lunes, 16 de agosto de 2010

"I believe..."

"I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren´t true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they´re true or not. I can believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and Marilyn Monroe and the Beatles and Elvis and Mister Ed. Listen- I believe that people are perfectible, that knowledge is infinite, that the world is run by secret banking cartels and is visited by aliens on a regular basis, nice ones that look like wrinkledly lemurs and bad ones who mutilate caddle and want our water and our women. I believe that the future sucks and I believe that the future rocks and I believe that one day White Buffalo Woman is going to come back and kick everyone´s ass. I believe that all men are just overgrown boys with deep problems communicating and that the decline in good sex in America is coincident with the decline in drive-in movie theaters from state to state. I believe that all politicians are unprincipled crooks and I still believe that they are better than the alternative. I believe that California is going to sink into the sea when the big one comes, while Florida is going to dissolve into madness and alligators and toxic waste. I believe that antibacterial soap is destroying our resistance to dirt and disease so that one day we´ll all be wiped out by the common cold like the Martians in War of the Worlds. I believe that the greatest poets of the last century were Edith Sitwell and Don Marquis, that jade is dried dragon sperm, and that a thousands of years ago in a former life I was a one-armed Siberian shaman. I believe that mankind´s destiny lies in the stars. I believe that candy really did taste better when I was a kid, that it´s aerodynamically impossible for a bumblebee to fly, that light is a wave and a particle, that there´s a cat in a box somewhere who´s alive and dead at the same time (although if they don´t ever open the box to feed it, it´ll eventually just be two different kinds of dead), and that there are stars in the universe billions of years older than the universe itself. I believe in a personal god who cares about me and worries and oversees everything I do. I believe in an impersonal god who set the universe in motion and went off to hang with her girlfriends and doesn´t even know that I´m alive. I believe in an empty and godless universe of casual chaos, background noise, and sheer blind luck. I believe that anyone who says that sex is overrated just hasn´t done it properly. I believe that anyone who claims to know what´s going on will lie about the little things too. I believe in absolute honesty and sensible social lies. I believe in a woman´s right to choose, a baby´s right to live, that while all human life is sacred there´s nothing wrong with the death penalty if you can trust the legal system implicity, and that no one but a moron would ever trust the legal system.
I believe that life is a game , that life is a cruel joke, and that life is what happens when you´re alive and that you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

Neil Gaiman, "American Gods", 2001


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario